Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen Scholarships
Intent of the Scholarships
The Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen Scholarships are intended to support selected undergraduate students who:
- Demonstrate an interest in, and a commitment to, a career as an educator*, and;
- Demonstrate financial need.
* Applicants may desire to pursue careers in P-12 teaching, education policy, higher education, school counseling, social services, or a myriad of other fields in education.
We anticipate awarding several scholarships for the 2020-2021 academic year. Award amounts will vary depending on available funds, but will not exceed level of full-time resident tuition and fees (up to 15 credits) per quarter for the 2020-2021 academic year. After reading the below, you may begin the application process here. The deadline for the Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen Undergraduate Scholarship application is Friday, June 26th, 2020 at 9:00 am.
Eligibility and Criteria
In order to be eligible for consideration, applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Demonstrated interest in a career as an educator, broadly defined;
- Junior or senior status by Autumn quarter 2020;
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at the University of Washington or accepted as a transfer student to the University of Washington;
- Currently declared in Education, Learning and Society (Education minor); Education, Communities and Organizations (Education major); Early Childhood and Family Studies (Education major); or Early Care & Education (Education major, online degree completion program) through the College of Education;
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75;
- Demonstrable financial need as shown by qualifying for Federal Student Aid or as explained in a one-page statement of need.
- Previous Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen scholars are eligible to re-apply, but please note the differentiated scholar responsibilities.
Successful applicants will demonstrate:
- An intent to pursue a specific career path within the field of education, defined broadly;
- Demonstrated accomplishments in leadership, service or research;
- Intellectual preparedness and a desire to further their learning through the Husky Leadership Certificate portfolio and mentor experience.
All Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen scholars are expected to engage in activities that contribute to their professional development, as well as share their extensive experience with the College and University communities.
First-time recipients are expected to:
- Complete the Husky Leadership Certificate (HLC). This certificate requires students to develop an e-portfolio by collecting evidence and artifacts that demonstrate development in knowledge, values, abilities, and behaviors associated with socially responsible leadership. The Student Leadership Competencies are the foundation for self-assessment.
- Work with assigned mentor on their portfolio.
- Present their work at the Spring Celebration of Service and Leadership
- Enroll in a 1-credit winter HLC course to support their portfolio development process (offered in both onsite and online versions)
Returning scholars are expected to:
- Serve as a course assistant for either the online or onsite HLC course. This assistant will meet with the teaching team for 1 hour each week to prepare for class and will assist with class facilitation, grading and giving feedback on course assignments.
- Contribute to conversations on how to improve the Certificate, as well as participate in the review of draft student portfolios.
Returning Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen scholars wishing to apply for this experience should address the following qualifications in their personal statement:
- Strong peer facilitation skills and experience
- Strong interest in student leadership development
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Cooperation and teamwork skills
- For the in-person class: Public speaking abilities (comfortable interacting with an audience of up to 75 people)
- For the online class: A reasonable degree of technical skill to facilitate an online course via the Canvas learning management system.
How To Apply
To apply for the 2020-2021 Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen Scholarships, you must complete a brief online application as well as upload several documents. Begin the application process here. The deadline for the Zesbaugh and Anderson-Olsen Undergraduate Scholarship application is Friday, June 26th, 2020 at 9:00 am. Award recipients will be notified by July 15, 2020.
Instructions for Letter of Reference
Request one letter of reference from someone who can speak to your leadership experience. Please direct your letter writer to https://forms.gle/2drLiT2bkdbxX7CT8 for more information and instructions. (Make sure to copy and send the link to your letter writer!) If your reference is unable to submit the letter using the link, they may also send the letter to email@example.com. This must be submitted by the deadline on Friday, June 26th, 2019 at 9:00 AM.