In May 2013, the College of Education's Faculty Council adopted this policy regarding advising and the advising relationship. Full implemention of the steps outlined in the policy will occur during the 2013–14 academic year.
University of Washington
College of Education
Associated Students of the College of Education
Advising & Advising Accountability Policy
May 10, 2013
We, the Associated Students of the College of Education, request the following items be adopted.
Develop a general College of Education policy on expected quantity of adviser-advisee meetings per quarter.
- M.Ed. students: at least one individual meeting per quarter (via Skype, phone, or in person), subject to mutual negotiation and based on student need.
- Ph.D. & Ed.D. students: on average, two meetings per quarter (via Skype, phone, or in person), subject to mutual negotiation and based on student need.
- Professional/Cohort programs: needs further discussion between faculty.
- Implementation of a yearly professional development seminar regarding advising policy, advising principles, and program requirements.
- Development of a joint committee (e.g. standing committee) of students and faculty to develop a survey to assess advising satisfaction.
- Change in Faculty Annual Review to include advising satisfaction.
We also request the following action steps take place:
- Implementation of these policies beginning fall 2013.
- Addition of these policies to the College of Education Graduate Student Handbook.
- Advising policy and principles have their own tab and webpage on the College of Education website.